A number of customers have requested a nut-free version of my bath bombs, and I have good news: I will be making some of my bath bombs with avocado oil instead of sweet almond oil to give you a choice! Please make sure that you read the description in order to find out whether the bath bomb contains almond or avocado. (It will not be both, it is an either kind of thing.)
As you may have surmised from the image above, the replacement oil is avocado oil. If you are allergic to avocados, I apologize–we will still have avocado-free bath bombs! Just know that some of the new bath bombs will contain avocado oil instead of sweet almond oil. If you particularly want a certain fragrance available either avocado-free or almond-free, please let me know and I will do my best to make you a batch.
Again, just a reminder, you can always shop using my tag system! On the Bath Geek homepage, use the Shop By Ingredient section to find bath products that don’t contain things you’re allergic to!
Unfortunately, USPS prices have gone up again and my previous flat rate shipping charge is no longer enough to cover shipping. To cover both packaging and shipping costs, the new flat-rate shipping is now $7.15 for bar soap & bubble bath and $10 for liquids. Free shipping is still in effect for purchases over $150!
A couple of housekeeping notes:
- Most of you deduced (correctly) that the sales tax information wasn’t being displayed correctly in my invoices. It was an annoying bug, and I am very happy to announce that I have changed the plugin I was using to generate invoices, and the math works correctly now.
- Gift wrapping is now a checkbox option on each product page. As always, gift wrapping is free!
- Every product page now has a tab where you can ask questions directly about each product! Just click on the “product enquiry” tab and fill out the form.
[This is also a follow-up to my post “Branching Out“.]
I did my first craft fair as Bath Geek LLC on Saturday (Dec 9), and it was great fun. The craft fair was at Vista Peak Preparatory, so I made sure to stock up on tons of bath bombs, which were a favorite with the teens. There were three soap-related booths in a fair of roughly 25-30 stalls, so considering how much competition there was, I did pretty well. ^_^
What really stuck with me, though, was that at the craft fair, I met a lady, Nic, who was just as excited to see my stuff as I was to meet her! She too was an allergy-conscious shopper, and after she told me her allergies I recommended certain soaps. We have been e-mailing back and forth; she’s a great correspondent. She’s given me a bunch of ideas, recommended some places to get more exposure, and told me about lots of allergy-safe substitutions for things, as well as oral immunotherapy to help with certain problems. It is always wonderful to meet someone else who understands just how life with allergies can be annoying and irritating (if not completely life-threatening). I also really love and appreciate the support! <3
Meeting Nic has strengthened my resolve in making sure my soaps are allergy-friendly and considerate of people’s sensitivities. I still want to add a couple of ingredients to my soaps in order to make them feel creamier, feel more moisturizing, and in general improve on the soap experience… but I will always be mindful of allergy-conscious customers. If you have specific allergies and you need me to make a formulation that helps you, please do not hesitate to contact me–there is always something I can do to help!
So, no pressure, but… there are only 16 days left until the USPS Priority Shipping deadline in order for gifts to get to your loved ones by Christmas Eve! In order to make things a little easier, I’ve added a couple of options to the site:
- The build-your-own-gift is exactly that–build your own gift! Pick a soap, at least one bath bomb, and at least one bubble bath/bath melt–all of that gets packed into a gift for your loved one, customized to their liking.
- The bathtime gift set is for bath lovers who like bath bombs and also like bubble baths. Choose two bath bombs and two bubble bath bars to be gift-wrapped into a pretty present!
- The bath bomb gift set is for bath bomb lovers (and those who love them). Choose any four bath bombs to be gift-wrapped into a pretty present! (Bonus: the set only costs $10, including gift-wrapping!)
- When all else fails, or when it’s just too late to toss one more present onto Santa’s sleigh, try Bath Geek gift cards, which can be e-mailed to your recipient instantly.
Also… we now have pre-orders! If you want to make absolutely sure that stock doesn’t run out before you get a chance to get something, you can now pre-order it and reserve yours, weeks before it’s actually available. Check it out!
To thank my repeat customers, I’ve installed a points and rewards system on this blog. Just like credit cards, every dollar spent earns you points, and these points can be redeemed towards future purchases! It’s my way of thanking you for your support.
- To track your points, you need to have an account on bathgeek.com (you can sign up at checkout, or just sign up at any time via the “My Account” link in the top menu.)
- You can click on “Points” in “My Account” (or just follow this link) at any time to see how many points you have.
- I have adjusted the point totals to credit folks for orders prior to December 2017. If you placed an order before December 2017 and you haven’t received your points, please let me know.
If you have any other questions, please let me know and I will try to answer them. Thanks again, and Happy Holidays!
[Img courtesy of Martin Abegglen @ Flickr.]
Thank you to all of you for being here and reading this! This Black Friday 2017, as a special thank-you to all of you, I’ve put together a bunch of discounts:
- Buy 10 bars of soap or more: 17% off all soap
- Buy 5 packages of bath melts or more: 17% off all bath melts
- Buy 10 bars of bubble bath or more: 117% off all bubble bath
- Buy 10 bath bombs or more: 17% off all bath bombs
- Last but not least, purchases of $170 or more (excludes gift cards) will receive free shipping!
These discounts are good from Thursday, November 23, 2017, to Sunday, November 26, 2017.
[Image courtesy of miheco @ Flickr.]
Let’s say you have a coconut allergy. If you are searching the Internet for something that you could use, would you type “hypoallergenic soap” or “coconut-free soap” into the search box? Which one would give you better results tailored to your specific concerns?
When I first set up the tagging system on this site, I tagged things with an eye to noting which products contained what allergens. However, this isn’t how people search for hypoallergenic products, and when I thought about this system a little more, I had to admit that my system was greatly flawed. Instead of tagging my products with “allergy: nut”, I will be re-doing the tagging system and using “nut-free” instead.
I have made more batches of Madelyn’s Rose, they are now back in stock. I’ve also uploaded what remains of my inventory of bubble bath and bath bombs. If you like bubble baths or bath bombs, be sure to check them out!
Phew. This has been a week of e-commerce learning. In one week I went through Zen Cart, OpenCart, and multiple installations of WordPress & WooCommerce, trying to make this work. With the help of the good support folks at WooCommerce and Automattic, this has finally worked the way it should, phew!
Long story short: this site works now, so I’ve closed my Square storefront. Square is a great payment system, but not that great an e-commerce solution. I had zero control over marketing, shipping options, etc. What’s worse, I had an order get deleted on me in the Square storefront because I forgot to click “fulfilled”, oops. ^_^; Thankfully my customer was understanding and paid me again!
Please kick the tires and try it out. If something’s broken, let me know and I will fix it right away. Thanks again for sticking with me and coming back!